Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
University of Chicago Law School, 2006, J.D.
University of Chicago Irving B. Harris School of Public Policy Studies, 1998, M.P.P.
Yale University, 1994, B.A.
Valdir Barbosa is a member of the firm's Corporate and Business Counseling Practice Group. Valdir focuses his practice on tax matters pertaining to taxable and tax-free acquisitions, divestitures, mergers and reorganizations, public and private financings, private equity transactions, partnerships and debt restructurings.
Prior to attending law school, Valdir was a Senior Manager in KPMG LLP's state and local tax group.
- Advised a privately held company with a controlling interest in a $2.2B manufacturing business in completing a tax-free downstream merger into its public subsidiary under a private letter ruling, while executing a spin-off of a portion of the assets of the holding company to its shareholders.
- Assisted secured lenders in their acquisition in a bankruptcy proceeding of all of the interests of a gaming operation with over $500M in assets and advised bankruptcy counsel regarding litigation with respect to the termination of an S-corporation election.
- Represented a private equity fund with over $15B raised since inception in connection with preferred and common stock investments, buyouts, recapitalizations, acquisitions and exits with respect to a broad portfolio of middle market companies.
- Advised a Fortune 500 financial services company with respect to over 40 securities offerings and structuring matters relating to its $15B dollar credit card securitization program.
- Represented a multinational hospitality company over the course of six years in matters relating to divestitures, financings, Internal Revenue Service proceedings, internal restructurings, structuring of partnerships and an initial public offering of its stock raising $950M.
- Advised a private equity fund with respect to investments in and divestitures of Latin American portfolio companies.
- Represented a publicly owned middle market manufacturer in various matters over the course of five years relating to the restructuring its debt in bankruptcy, protecting the value of its tax assets, high yield debt, convertible notes and rights offerings and proposed business combinations.
- Assisted a pharmaceutical start-up in securing access to capital and public equity markets by way of a tax-free reverse subsidiary merger.
- Advised client with respect risks of U.S. taxation in structuring investment in Latin American satellite services provider.
- Represented a bank in matters relating to workouts and out-of-court debt restructurings for several middle market borrowers.
Honors & Recognitions
Irving B. Harris Fellow
News & Alerts
American Bar Association
Adoption-Link, Board Member