Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Georgetown University Law Center, 1998, J.D.
Harvard University, 1994, B.A., with honors
A core focus of Stan's practice is the strategic analysis and written appellate advocacy he provides firm clients on a broad range of commercial and other disputes, including trust and estate matters, constitutional issues, ERISA, municipal incorporation, and environmental regulation. By combining pragmatism and astute legal analysis, Stan achieves remarkable results for his clients in the Illinois Supreme Court, Appellate Courts, and the Federal Courts of Appeals.
Stan regularly provides advice and litigation counsel on intellectual property rights ownership to technology start-up and established middle-market manufacturing and service companies facing complex partnership, joint venture, and distributorship dissolution litigation. In addition, he assists the firm's technology clients in securing, licensing or transferring intellectual property assets out of bankruptcy. An able litigator, Stan brings significant experience to his resolution of high tech clients' breach of contract, Uniform Commercial Code, licensing, and business fraud issues.
Stan is actively involved with the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Obtained a client-favorable reversal from the Illinois Appellate Court of the trial court's decision that a particular municipality had met the statutory requirements for incorporation as a village.
- Obtained a unanimous ruling in favor of our client in the Illinois Supreme Court, reversing the decisions of both lower courts, regarding the enforceability of religious restrictions on beneficiaries in a hotly contested trusts and estates matter.
- Negotiated joint development, exclusive supply and service arrangement for mold inhibitor system for use in mass-market bakeries on behalf of the leading international developer of industrial spray nozzles.
- Pursued intellectual property infringers in China and Germany on behalf of American semiconductor manufacturer.
- Enforced a specialty paper and greeting card manufacturer's copyrighted designs against infringers making derivative works.
- Enforced a snack manufacturer's trademarks against infringement by a former distributor.
- Drafted and negotiated licenses and joint software development agreements for the creation of the first in-cab software system providing truck drivers with regulatory and safety guidelines for the transportation of hazardous materials.
- Negotiated an advantageous agreement governing our web-based client's operation and fulfillment of orders of personalized products placed with one of the nation's leading big box online retail stores.
- Defended electrical component manufacturer against allegations of trade secret misappropriation brought by competitor.
- Obtained reversals of unfavorable decisions and defended client-favorable judgments in the Illinois Supreme Court, the Illinois Appellate Courts, and the federal Courts of Appeals.
- Sought and opposed writs of certiorari from the U.S. Supreme Court.
News & Alerts
American Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
National Multiple Sclerosis Society