Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
University of Illinois College of Law, 1978, J.D.
Cornell College, 1974, B.A.
- Triple major: Philosophy, Economics and Political Science
Marc D. Janser is a member of its Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group. His trial practice focuses on complex commercial and family law litigation.
Marc represents prominent Chicago business leaders, owners and executives, high profile and high net worth athletes and other individuals in personal and family matters. He works with clients to develop personalized strategies that protect and preserve their assets. Marc's extensive experience in this arena includes drafting premarital agreements; classifying inherited, gifted or previously acquired property as non-marital; and valuing and dividing businesses or professional practices. He is a pioneer in using summary judgment to gain leverage to eliminate financial issues in divorces.
A seasoned commercial litigator, Marc represents manufacturing and service companies involved in business-related disputes regarding product liability, personal injury, insurance coverage, and distributor and supplier issues. He has successfully defended corporations and corporate divisions in high stakes claims involving breach of warranty, contract, and product liability issues. He has also tailored product liability programs for his clients that combine umbrella insurance and aggressive trial methods to minimize – and often eliminate – the filing of product liability claims.
His impeccable track record includes the resolution of numerous disputes for buyers, sellers and lenders that have arisen from acquisition contracts and other complex financial transactions, including disputes regarding purchase prices, the assumption of liabilities, non-compete covenants, and trade secret issues.
Marc speaks and writes on family law topics, such as premarital agreements, the valuation of closely held businesses, and protecting the assets of high-earning spouses.
- Obtained a binding and non-appealable judgment on behalf of the beneficial owner of an ethnic grocery store who had disputes with company trustees that terminated the trustee and dismissed his entire claim for more than $1 million in fees.
- Administers the product liability program for a large Midwestern manufacturing company which has resulted in the successful conclusion of more than 20 personal injury cases in which the client has paid neither judgment nor settlement costs.
- Obtained summary judgment that Husband's stock was marital even though it was purchased from a money market fund account established with the sale of premarital bonds.
- Achieved summary judgment that Husband's purchase of stock in a family business was non-marital even though stock was purchased during the marriage.
- Obtained summary judgment that Husband's premarital agreement was enforceable even though the Wife had signed it without counsel and when she did not speak English.
- Received a summary judgment that the purchase of a house during marriage and deeded to a trust was non-marital even though the deed had never been recorded.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation by his peers 2016-2017
Highest peer review rating for ethics and legal ability from Martindale-Hubbell
News & Alerts
- February 2020
- March 21, 2013
Chicago Bar Association
Illinois State Bar Association
University of Illinois College of Law Board of Visitors, 1999-2002