Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar), Central District of Illinois, and Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D.
Syracuse University, Maxwell School, M.R.P.
Northwestern University, B.A.
Don Moran is a member of Pedersen & Houpt’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He represents corporations and individuals in sophisticated civil matters and business transactions. His practice concentrates on complex business disputes; environmental, toxic tort and land use litigation; and constitutional law.
Don has successfully prosecuted and defended numerous lawsuits in state and federal courts involving antitrust, business and toxic torts, injunction, claims by or against government entities, employee fraud and bribery, and environmental enforcement and cost recovery. His trial skills are complemented by his extensive experience in prosecuting and defending appeals at local and national levels.
His outstanding track record includes his successful representation of plaintiffs in major business fraud and antitrust actions. He has successfully prosecuted federal RICO claims involving sophisticated bribery and conspiracy schemes.
He has represented developers and publicly held companies in matters related to facility siting, federal and state Superfund cleanups, and regulatory enforcement actions. Don's work with professional engineers, geologists, hydrogeologists, soil scientists, real estate experts, and other professionals give him the deep understanding of complex environmental and land use issues necessary to devise consistently effective strategies for both legal and technical matters.
Don has litigated major high-profile constitutional issues in both state and federal courts. New environmental and municipal finance laws have been established as a result of his successful litigation of constitutional claims.
A member of the bar of the United States Supreme Court, Don has Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer review ranking. He has presented oral argument in appeals before the Illinois Supreme Court, Illinois’ First, Second, Third, and Fifth District Appellate Courts, and the U.S. Circuit Courts of Appeal for the Sixth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuits. An author and speaker, Don has also taught courses in appellate advocacy and litigation skills at UIC John Marshall Law School.
- Represented a group of citizens in a constitutional challenge to a municipal ordinance banning the possession of handguns in the landmark cases of Kalodimos v. Village of Morton Grove and Reichardt v. Village of Morton Grove, litigating the cases through to the Illinois Supreme Court and to the U.S. Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, respectively.
- Challenged the constitutionality of a County ordinance imposing fees and regulations on pollution control facilities.
- Obtained local government approval to remediate a leaking landfill near St. Louis, Missouri by expanding its capacity and incorporating state-of-the-art features to ensure safe site operation, and satisfying the objections of a citizens’ group opposed to the expansion.
- Defeated a county's attempt to shut down a regional pollution control facility.
- Defeated a city’s attempt to shut down an agricultural product manufacturing facility.
- Secured the assets and property of a $2 million business established through employee fraud and theft without filing suit.
- Prosecuted RICO claims to obtain significant financial settlements for a local bottler of a nationally distributed soft drink and a national baby food company victimized by bribery schemes.
- Obtained numerous land use approvals and permits for commercial projects, residential developments, and pollution control facilities.
- Successfully defended numerous environmental enforcement actions brought by State regulatory agencies.
Honors & Recognitions
2016, 2017, 2020, & 2021 Illinois Leading Lawyer
ISBA Lincoln Award Winner
Highest peer review rating for ethics and legal ability from Martindale-Hubbell
News & Alerts
- "Environmental Controls"Illinois Land Use Law 2013 Edition and 2017
Adjunct Professor of Law, The John Marshall Law School, 1984-1986
American Bar Association
Arbitrator, Chicago Bar Association's Professional Fees Committee
Arbitrator, Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois
Chicago Bar Association
- Constitutional Law and Professional Fees Committee, Chairman
Illinois State Bar Association
Seventh Circuit Bar Association
Legal Assistance Foundation of Chicago, Board Member, 1983-1986