Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar), Eastern District of Michigan and Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth, Seventh, Eighth and Tenth Circuits
Indiana University School of Law, 1992, J.D., cum laude
- Notes Editor, Adelphia Law Journal
Northwestern University, 1987, B.A.
Charles M. Gering – Partner Partner
Chuck Gering, the leader of the firm's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group, focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation and environmental matters.
Chuck represents clients in federal and state trial and appellate courts across the country. In addition, he has represented clients in administrative and quasi-judicial tribunals, as well as in arbitrations, mediations, and other alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Chuck has extensive experience in all phases of trial and appellate practice. He has handled complex commercial and tort litigation matters including breach of contract, fraud, insurance coverage, class action, consumer protection, creditors' rights and bankruptcy, health care, and product liability issues.
In his environmental practice, Chuck defends and prosecutes private cost recovery actions, defends civil and criminal enforcement actions and toxic tort cases, and advises clients concerning regulatory compliance and transactional matters. He counsels clients regarding their obligations under all major federal and state environmental laws. In addition, he has substantial experience with airport noise and related mitigation issues, as well as agricultural land use and compliance issues.
- Successfully argued before the Illinois Supreme Court on behalf of a pork producer and its Illinois contract partner in a landmark decision regarding land use regulations applicable to confinement farming operations.
- Secured the dismissal of all felony counts in criminal prosecution charging one of the nation's largest privately-held companies with water and soil contamination.
- Successfully represented a major electric utility in the defense of appeal of state environmental agency's issuance of operating permit for coal-fired power plant.
- Obtained a directed verdict in a jury trial involving multi-million dollar claims under commercial lease contracts.
- Obtained a favorable settlement of post-closing claims alleging fraud and misrepresentation in connection with the sale of a business for sellers of an auto parts business.
- Successfully defended a manufacturing company, avoiding civil and criminal liability, in a matter involving an employee's intentional falsification of federal mandated records.
- Obtained a summary judgment on behalf of defendant in a private cost recovery action related to PCB contamination.
American Bar Association
Appellate Lawyers Association
Chicago Bar Association
- March 2014
- "EPA Enforcement – Significant Developments and Controversies" – presentation addressing recent developments involving the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's enforcement program, Web Conference, November 15, 2007
- October 2012
- Will The New EPA Rule Improve Hospital Air Quality?January 16, 2008Health Law360 article
- Hundreds of Hospitals Subject to New EPA Rule Governing Air Emissions From Ethylene Oxide SterilizersJanuary 3, 2008Legal News Alert newsletter