- Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Enforcement Proceedings
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Business and Loan Workouts
- Corporate and Business Counseling
- Corporate and Partnership Disputes
- Creditors' Rights, Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- In-Court and Out-of-Court Liquidations
- Lender and Debtor Representation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Securities Litigation
Bar & Court Admissions
- University of Wisconsin Law School, 1998, J.D., cum laude
- University of Wisconsin Business School, 1998, M.B.A. (Finance)
- Diego Portales University, Santiago, Chile
- University of Minnesota, 1991, B.A.
- University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Joe Brown focuses his practice on bankruptcy, loan restructurings, loan workouts, secured lending, and commercial litigation often involving insolvency and UCC issues. Joe also has extensive experience with the factoring and merchant cash advance industries. While primarily a lender’s attorney, Joe also has substantial experience in representing borrowers.
Joe advises lenders as to the most effective approach to enforce their positions and helps borrowers restructure their debts in a manner that repairs relationships with creditors, or at least prevents foreclosure. Joe frequently serves as primary counsel in trials and evidentiary proceedings in state and federal courts and has served as primary debtor's counsel in two chapter 11 cases. He advises major factoring and MCA organizations in connection with federal and state proceedings. He has litigated dozens of commercial finance cases of all types since 2004.
As a bank-trained workout officer, Joe has also participated in scores of loan workouts in his career, representing both borrowers and lenders. Joe is a member of Pedersen & Houpt's Creditors' Rights, Restructuring and Bankruptcy Practice Group, the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group, and the Corporate and Business Counseling Practice Group. Joe graduated cum laude from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1998 and also holds an M.B.A. in finance from the University of Wisconsin. He is fluent in written and spoken Spanish.
- Represented strategic buyer in liquidation of large portfolio of mortgage-backed loans involving 20 commercial properties in Chicagoland area;
- Reorganized chain of bed and breakfast locations as primary debtor’s counsel in Chapter 11 proceedings;
- Successfully sued major loan servicer for systematic breaches of confirmed chapter 11 plan; and
- Assisted mid-market borrower in obtaining lien releases from hostile unregulated lender.
News & Alerts
- Law 360.com, March 2017
- October 2016
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association