- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Compliance, Investigation and Workplace Solutions
- Corporate and Partnership Disputes
- Creditors' Rights, Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- Employment Agreements and Executive Compensation
- Employment and Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Municipal Law and Land Use
- Securities Litigation
- Trust and Estates Controversy
Bar & Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Third, Sixth, Seventh and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court
Washington University, 1976, J.D.
Washington University, 1976, M.B.A.
Northwestern University, 1972, M.A.T.
Northwestern University, 1971, B.A.
Arthur Holtzman is a member of Pedersen & Houpt's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He concentrates his practice on commercial litigation, employment counseling and litigation, commodity futures and securities litigation, municipal and local government litigation, trust and estate litigation, and tax court litigation. He is general counsel to the firm and chairs its Professional Practices Committee.
A veteran trial lawyer and former federal agency trial lawyer, Arthur has represented his clients before state and federal trial and appellate courts as well as in arbitration and administrative law proceedings. By understanding individual client issues, he is able to successfully resolve their complex commercial business disputes. He is regularly retained as special investigative counsel by private and publicly-held corporate clients.
A deep knowledge of municipal and local government law informs his advocacy on behalf of municipal corporations, developers, and homeowners in matters involving annexation and disconnection proceedings, special district and zoning disputes, service agreements, and condemnation matters. Arthur has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving constitutional challenges to municipal ordinances.
Arthur handles commodity futures, securities, and related arbitration matters for plaintiffs (customers and limited partners) and defendants (brokers and brokerage firms). He draws on experience gained as a trial lawyer at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission's Division of Enforcement to provide effective and insightful representation to clients facing Commission investigations, exchange disciplinary proceedings, and industry arbitration proceedings.
Arthur has substantial experience in representing trustees and court-appointed fiduciaries and beneficiaries in lawsuits against trustees, lawyers and accountants.
He is a recipient of Martindale-Hubbell's highest peer review rating for ethics and legal ability and has been designated an Illinois Super Lawyer.
- Successfully defended a major brokerage firm charged with churning in one of the first arbitration matters held before the National Futures Association.
- Obtained a bench trial decision in favor of client in case regarding breach of real estate sales contract.
- Prevailed at trial and appeal on behalf of client challenging a restrictive covenant.
- Obtained significant financial settlements of disputes between senior executives and employers.
- Successfully appealed a claim by a public works contractor against a municipality.
- Prevailed in a jurisdictional defense for foreign trucking company.
- Successfully defended a suburban Chicago village in a suit involving a challenge to the constitutionality of a state statute regarding an involuntary annexation, or taking, of property. Illinois courts upheld the statute's constitutionality at both circuit and appellate levels.
- Obtained favorable settlements on more than 40 cases involving commodity straddles, in which the federal government challenged clients for back taxes.
Honors & Recognitions
2016 & 2017 Illinois Leading Lawyer
Illinois Super Lawyers magazine Super Lawyer in Business Litigation and General Litigation, 2009
Highest peer review rating for ethics and legal ability from Martindale-Hubbell
Recognized as a Leading Lawyer in commercial litigation by his peers
News & Alerts
- March 2014
- February 2013
- April 2020
American Bar Association
Member of the Regulation of Futures and Derivative Instruments Committee of the ABA's Section on Business Law
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
Chicago Bar Association
Local Government Committee
Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Arbitrator
- Probable Cause Committee
National Association of Securities Dealers (now FINRA), Arbitrator
National Future Association, Arbitrator