- Bankruptcy, Foreclosure and Enforcement Proceedings
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Business and Loan Workouts
- Corporate and Business Counseling
- Corporate and Partnership Disputes
- Creditors' Rights, Restructuring and Bankruptcy
- In-Court and Out-of-Court Liquidations
- Lender and Debtor Representation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Securities Litigation
Bar & Court Admissions
- University of Wisconsin Law School, 1998, J.D., cum laude
- University of Wisconsin Business School, 1998, M.B.A. (Finance)
- Diego Portales University, Santiago, Chile
- University of Minnesota, 1991, B.A.
- University of Madrid, Madrid, Spain
Stephen J. Brown – Partner Partner
Stephen "Joseph" Brown is the leader of Pedersen & Houpt's Creditors' Rights, Restructuring and Bankruptcy Practice Group and is also a member of the Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice Group and Corporate and Business Counseling Practice Group. Joe focuses his practice on bankruptcy, loan restructurings, loan workouts, secured lending, and commercial litigation often involving insolvency and UCC issues. He also has extensive experience with the factoring industry.
Clients regularly seek Joe's counsel on bankruptcy and insolvency issues. Lenders seek his advice as to the most effective approach to enforce their positions, while borrowers seek help in restructuring their debts in a manner that repairs relationships with creditors, or at least prevents foreclosure. He has served as primary debtor's counsel in two chapter 11 cases, and has been primary counsel in various trials and evidentiary proceedings in state and federal court. He advises his clients in major factoring organizations in connection with bankruptcies and workouts, and has litigated dozens of commercial banking cases.
Joe graduated cum laude from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1998 and also holds an M.B.A. in finance from the University of Wisconsin. He is fluent in written and spoken Spanish.
- Represented a strategic buyer in the liquidation of a $10,000,000 portfolio of mortgage-backed loans involving 20 properties in the Chicagoland area.
- Served as de facto general counsel to a construction contractor to resolve its financial problems with various secured creditors holding $7,000,000 of secured debt.
- Reorganized chain of bed-n-breakfast locations as primary debtor’s counsel in chapter 11 proceedings.
- Successfully sued major loan servicer for systematic breaches of confirmed chapter 11 plan.
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- March 2017Law 360.com
- October 2016